As cook, your focus is to assist our catering manager and chef in the food preparation, food management and cooking for all food outlets managed by Matlock Farm Park. You will ensure you follow all health, safety and food hygiene regulations, processes and procedures, maintain the upmost level of personal hygiene, wearing the relevant PPE and carry out all food checks, updating all relevant paperwork as necessary.
You will also support with food ordering and serving, taking payments and issuing food to customers, visitors and staff in a professional manner and in line with company policy. You will help at all times, maintain a clean and tidy environment, ensuring customers and visitors have everything they need to enjoy their meal and have an enjoyable experience within the food outlets. You may also be asked to work with visitors and customers during the farm park events schedule and support the party hosts in the menu preparation for parties.
You will deliver an outstanding level of customer service, also working towards increasing visitor awareness on the importance of health, safety and hygiene processes when having been around live animals, including the importance of washing hands thoroughly prior to eating. You will follow processes to ensure outstanding hygiene measures are maintained and recorded.
You will work closely with the catering and events team ensuring information is given in an accurate and timely manner, reporting any issues directly to the farm operations manager (in relation to animal care) or the communications manager (in relation to visitors). Your tasks are wide-ranging and subject to change when necessary. You will commit to the company’s core values of integrity, respect, responsibility, enjoyment and inclusivity. Ultimately, you will work to achieve our mission, which commits to the welfare of our animals and staff, making Matlock Farm Park a leading visitor attraction that offers accessibility for all to a wonderful day out through a wide range of interactive animal activities and playtime fun, along with providing great quality food.
- Collaborating with the Chef and Catering Manager to prepare meals.
- Work in line with all Health and Safety protocols,
- Work in line with first aid protocols.
- Work in line with all fire safety protocols.
- Assist with start of day food prep and cooking in relation to all food outlets.
- Assist with end of day procedures relating to all food outlets.
- Carry out standard food checks throughout the day to in line with safety protocol and record accordingly.
- Follow all processes and procedures with regards to food allergens.
- Re-stock pantry, fridge, and freezer as necessary, ensuring checks are made with reference to shelve life.
- Properly store food items at appropriate temperatures
- Ordering new ingredients as required
- Maintain pantry stock and records, rotating stock items as instructed.
- Ensure that the café areas are kept clean and tidy and that bins are emptied.
- Serve customers and visitors ordering food and drink in a polite and professional manner.
- Work with the party hosts to prepare food for party bookings.
- Carry out cleaning duties to sanitise and reduce the risk of cross contamination.
- Assist in the Rainforest Café.
- Take payments, using the till system.
- Deliver outstanding customer service to all.
- Keep the farm park catering areas clean and tidy.
- Work well with others.
- Follow all company policies and procedures.
- Promote equality, diversity, and inclusion.
The day-to-day activity of the position:
- Assist with daily food preparation, cooking, and cleaning.
- Maintain a clean and sanitised work areas.
- Support in the washing of cooking implements
- Effectively carry out all monitoring of hot and cold foods, as requested and complete all required paperwork.
- Effectively carry out all morning and afternoon processes
- Serve customers, visitors and staff in a friendly manner.
- Empty bins.
- Help in loading and unloading food to the store from the catering supplier.
- Support with cleaning and tidying the Rainforest Café (if directed to do so) and complete all required paperwork.
- Deliver outstanding customer service to all.
- Support the upselling of drinks, side dishes and desserts.
- Monitor health and safety and report any issues.
- Monitor hygiene and cleanliness and act on any issues.
- Any other duties to meet the needs of the business.
- In-depth knowledge of various cooking techniques
- Working knowledge of food safety and hygiene protocols
- Strong team spirit
- Ability to work in a high-pressure environment.
- Excellent attention to detail
- Two years or more experience as a Cook in the catering industry
- Working knowledge of mathematical principles such as ratios and proportions
- Excellent communication skills
- Food Hygiene qualification, level 2
- Food Allergen awareness training